Monday, July 7, 2008

My Credo

I believe in the Canon I have created;
the desire in Romeo and Juliet,
the pain in The Sun Also Rises,
the anger in The Shining,
the faith in Jane Eyre.
Real love, Real loss, Real life

But to believe blindly in Disney's
happily ever after means you've
missed the point.

I believe in the strength of my marriage vows,
I believe in the power of my parent's divorce papers,
I believe in the miracle of a baby's first laugh.
New love, New loss, New Life

And I believe in the people who
carry on through each plot,

living life as best they can,
for as long as their words hold on.

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

Oh Brandy, I love this! I think it is so great and captures the essence of why we read good books. Authors speak to each of us and we each walk away with a little something...nice!!

Tina G. said...

Brandy, I really like this draft of your credo poem. Knowing how it began, I can see that you developed it even further. Your new details are even more concrete and universally meaningful. Thanks for sharing!

BalkanBarbara said...

Hi Brandy,

A very powerful, insightful poem! I vastly enjoyed reading it. It encapsulates why we read and want others to read with us, because it is so real, and always teaches us something new.

Please put this in your portfolio, or the anthology, whichever fits best for you.

--BS

L Romaine said...

Wow, powerfully parallel. I love the ending, "for as long as their words hold on."